Fergie might stay quiet this summer

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted that he may not sign any new players this summer.

A report carried on Skysports.com quotes the Scot as saying, We might well start 2008-09 with largely the squad we had last season, and after all, they didn t do too badly!”

We have the right balance of youth and experience, thanks to the work we did in the transfer market the previous year.”

So I think we already have the men for the job.

After claiming the Premier League and UEFA Champions League double last term, Ferguson seemed to never have intentions of renovating his squad.

However, many believe at least one big signing is crucial with a new striker looking the most likely to arrive for Ferguson. As suc…

Germany worked hard for victory, says Podolski

Germany forward Lukas Podolski admitted his side were not at their best during their 1-0 win over Portugal in their Euro 2012 opener.

Joachim Loew s side only managed one serious attempt on goal in the first 45 minutes, but Mario Gomez s header in the second half was enough to give them all three points.

After being lauded for their attacking flair in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Germany were expected to continue that form into the European Championship, but Podolski said that they deserved victory for all of their hard work.

The three points are important, he told Goal.com. Maybe we did not play as well as in 2010, but we fought hard and in the end it was important to start off with a victory.

If you look at the Portuguese [team] you cannot say…

Prediction: Barcelona vs Valencia

Verdict: Home win both teams to score

Best Odds:

Bookmaker:

La Liga leaders Barcelona play host to high-flying Valencia in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-finals, with the Catalans hoping to edge closer to winning the domestic double. Los Che, on the other hand, need to try and make amends for back to back league defeats to Las Palmas and Real Madrid.

Barcelona

This is turning into a dream campaign for Barcelona, who have so far impressed in all the competitions entered, although the Catalans obviously need to ensure they do not spoil everything with a poor finish of the season. The league trophy is theirs to lose having created an 11-point advantage at the top, while Ernesto Valverde’s side seem to be closing in on the Cup title as well. Bar…

Borussia Dortmund 3/4 to beat Atalanta in Thursday’s Europa League game

Competition: Europa League

Market: Borussia Dortmund to beat Atalanta

Odds:

The Europa League returns this week for yet another massive round of games that will surely only bring more goals and excitement. The competition will see a number of big teams going up against supposedly smaller sides with shock results a huge possibility. With this in mind, Borussia Dortmund host Atalanta on Thursday.

Borussia Dortmund were awful in the Champions League this season as their poor run saw them slip down into the Europa League. After six games they were unable to win once, while they drew twice and lost four games, scoring seven goals and conceding 13 times. In their last five they were able to draw twice and lose three times which saw them onto just two…

Higuain happy at Napoli amid Barca link; Jackson Martinez to decide future after World Cup

S.S.C. Napoli forward Gonzalo Higuain has moved to play down reports linking him with a big-money move to Barcelona this summer.

Higuain, who joined Napoli from Real Madrid for €40 million last summer, is currently on international duty with Argentina at the World Cup, awaiting a date with Switzerland in the Round of 16 on Tuesday, 1 July.

The Argentina international, under contract at the Stadio San Paolo until the summer of 2018, bagged 17 goals and seven assists in 32 Italian Serie A appearances for the Partenopei last term.

I have nothing to say because there has been nothing,  Higuain said.

  I know nothing about Barcelona and I feel good at Napoli. But now, I want to think only about the World Cup.

Higuain has done very …

Falcao not looking overseas

Radamel Falcao s father says the Colombia international is focused only on Atletico Madrid amid speculation he could move to England.

The prolific striker has caught the attention of clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City, but his father has stressed that he still has an ongoing contract with his current club.

Falcao will decide his own future, but he is solely focused on Atletico Madrid for now, Radamel Enrique Garcia King told Marca TV.

He still has three years on his contract with Atletico.

The 27-year-old has developed into one of the most wanted strikers in the world since joining Atletico from Porto in 2011.

He guided the Spanish side to Europa League glory last term, and has already netted 21 goals in 25 La Liga appearances so far thi…

Klopp bristles at suggestions of favourable fixture schedule amid UK heatwave

Jurgen Klopp dismissed the idea that Liverpool were set to benefit from favourable fixture scheduling as clubs across the United Kingdom prepare to contend with soaring temperatures.

While the rest of the Premier League will battle it out in stifling heat over the weekend, Klopp s team will host Crystal Palace in far cooler conditions on Monday night.

The Reds boss conceded it was preferable to play in the evening, but underlined the fact that Palace have the same comfort.

It s much better to play at nighttime than at these other times, but for Crystal Palace it s the same advantage, he said.

It s much more comfortable to play, of course, but it shouldn t be a comfortable game. It should be really busy.

It s heating up over the weekend 
Her…

De Gea accepts responsibility after Man Utd´s ´horrible´ defeat to Brentford

David de Gea described Manchester United s 4-0 defeat to Brentford as horrible and says he was responsible for his side not leaving London with a win.

De Gea allowed Josh Dasilva s tame shot from 25 yards squirm through his grasp to give Brentford the lead, before the goalkeeper s poor pass out to Christian Eriksen led to a second from Mathias Jensen.

Ben Mee and Bryan Mbeumo then ensured Brentford became only the third side to put four past United in the first half of a Premier League game.

It meant United lost four consecutive league matches for the first time since February 1979, while they have also lost seven successive away league games for the first time since losing 10 on the bounce between September and December 1936.

1992 Manchester United ar…

Amadou Diawara in hot demand

Several European clubs have been engaged in a tug of war over Bologna midfielder Amadou Diawara, who has impressed during the 2015/16 season in Serie A.

The 18-year-old has arrived to Bologna from San Marino in 2014, but this defensive midfielder’s career has seen a meteoric rise to prominence in a short period of time.

Diawara has made 34 league appearances for Bologna since his debut in August 2015, but the Guinean international has done more than enough to alarm the likes of Fiorentina, AS Roma, Napoli, Valencia, Sevilla, Bayern Munich and Juventus most recently.

According to , the Italian champions are the latest club to get in the race for the highly talented 18-year-old. The Old Lady are keen to grab the midfielder valued at €14 million by his club Bol…

Record-breaker ´Kazu´ scores in Japan at age of 48

Veteran striker Kazuyoshi Miura extended his remarkable record as the oldest scorer in the Japanese league when he nodded home for Yokohama at the age of 48 on Sunday.

The former Japan international was on target after 14 minutes of his side s 3-2 defeat to Jubilo Iwata in the second-tier J2 League clash, one month and 10 days after his 48th birthday.

The forward known as Kazu already held the record, having last scored in November 2013.

I managed to get a good jump on the ball, he told the Kyodo News agency.